For many years, organizations heard that they needed to be “data-driven,” so many became overly focused on numbers that weren’t really connected to their mission or impact. Then, they heard they needed to be “data-informed” and tried to mix data with user stories and experiential feedback. Now, organizations are challenged to decide if data should be a focus or not, and how it supports decision-making, reporting, storytelling, and impact evaluation.
Nonprofit Tech Readiness (NTR) for Data Empowerment is a six-month cohort program for nonprofit professionals interested in using data more effectively and equitably as an organization. Our goal is to elevate nonprofits’ technology capacity significantly by strengthening participants’ knowledge of best practices for technology planning, budgeting, decision-making, and more while supporting them to advance a data-related project specific to their organization.
Applications for the Spring 2022 cohort are open from January 26 to February 28, 2022.
How does it work?
NTR combines online educational sessions and leadership development. Participants learn from nonprofit technology experts and receive guidance and training to support technology projects at their organizations. The educational sessions reflect the major departmental areas across an organization. This comprehensive training provides every participant, regardless of their current job, a full view of best practices, strategic decision-making processes, and knowledge for managing technologies in all areas of an organization.
Nonprofit Technology Conference — March 23–25, 2022
All cohort participants are provided with free full registration to NTEN’s 22NTC virtual conference. There are no required sessions, but participants find the NTC’s energy and the many opportunities for jump-starting their learning to be of high value.
NTR Orientation — April 2022
Program orientation via web conference to answer questions, check everyone’s online access and account settings, and provide detailed information about the 6-month calendar.
Cohort Sessions — April 2022–September 2022
During the six-month cohort, participants engage in a variety of learning and coaching activities. NTR includes:
- Live Event Educational Series (months 1–5): a series of training sessions that cover the core competencies of technology planning, budgeting, implementation, and evaluation across an organization.
- Self-Paced Training Series (months 3–6): a series of self-paced sessions that cover additional competencies related to the topical focus of the cohort and best-practices.
- Workshops (months 4–6): dedicated working sessions to provide skill-building and networking while helping you advance your technology project planning.
- Leadership Development(months 3–6): facilitated process to coach you in providing project feedback, practicing, and modeling experiences you can replicate in your organizations.
- Technology Projects (months 1–6): coaching and support for your unique project that will make a critical and lasting impact on your programs, including direct support on project planning, culture change, and a successful path for implementation.
- Open Office Hours (months 1–6): Drop-in opportunities to get direct support.
Culmination Celebration — October 2022
Participants are invited to celebrate all that they have learned and worked on during the cohort, along with colleagues, board members, program contributors and coaches, and more. This virtual celebration includes inspiring guest speakers as well as time for participants to share their achievements.
The following are general topics covered during NTR. The final list varies as it’s tailored to each cohort’s needs. Additionally, new courses will be woven into the curriculum as they become available.
- IT Planning and Assessment.
- Using Tech to Streamline Operations.
- Design Tools for Non-designers.
- Data Management.
- Develop Good Data Practice.
- IT Security Fundamentals.
- Leading with Technology Roadmaps.
- Practical Data Culture.
- Data Communication and Visualization
NTR is a six-month program. Participants should anticipate 8-10 hours per month of program-related work.
NTR is provided to participants free of charge. The largest investment comes from participants of their time and by their organizations supporting staff with the time to participate fully. We are grateful for the support of Fidelity Charitable Trustees Initiative for providing the resources to make this training available to the community.
Who should apply
Nonprofit staff who are interested in practical and tangible technology training and located in all U.S. states and territories are encouraged to apply. Participants should be staff responsible for the advancement and implementation of a data project at their organization. This may include staff from anywhere within an organization, but we do not include board members or volunteers.
In addition to the coaching, training, and support provided as part of the NTR cohort, participants receive access to all courses required to earn NTEN’s Nonprofit Technology Professional Certificate for free if they choose to pursue a certificate. Participants also receive continued access to all materials after the program is complete and continued access to the dedicated online community space.
Applications for the 2022 Spring cohort closed on February 28. Applications for the 2022 Fall cohort open in August 2022.